- 17 Jul 2023
- 3 Minutes to read
Restoring Knowledge Articles with Vault
- Updated on 17 Jul 2023
- 3 Minutes to read
What is Salesforce Knowledge and why do you need it?
Salesforce Knowledge allows you to build a knowledge base for storing and managing documentation to service your internal agents, website visitors, partners, and customers.
Users can create and manage a knowledge base with your company information and securely share it when and where it's needed. Salesforce Knowledge helps you establish a self-service model for your customers to solve their queries, leading to case deflection and increasing customer satisfaction.
Vault can restore/replicate knowledge data Knowledge__kav records with rich text and large image files.
Point to Consider
- Knowledge Articles should exist in your Salesforce org.
- Restoring of the KAV (knowledge objects) are always processed in a different job.
- To restore/replicate other metadata/data objects, run a different job, including all the required metadata and data objects.
Similar steps are to be followed for replicating Knowledge__kav objects in Vault. Replicate the KAV objects by navigating to the Replicate module.
To restore Knowledge objects using Vault, follow the steps outlined below:
- Log in to your Vault account and navigate to the Restore module.
- On the Restore page, select your Salesforce org that is configured with Knowledge Articles (KAV) objects.
- Click on Restore Now.
- On the next screen, choose the Restore Source from the dropdown.
- Select the backup configuration from the dropdown, if it's not automatically selected.
- Click Get Details.
- The available backups configured for the selected restore source and configuration will be displayed.
- Select the backups from the list that you want to restore.
- Click on Selective Restore.Point to Note:
It is currently not possible to restore knowledge articles using the EZ Restore feature.
- Go to the Data tab.
- Select the Knowledge Articles (__kav) object.Point to Note:
Knowledge Articles (__kav) cannot be restored alongside other objects. You need to exclude other objects from the selection in order to proceed.
- You have multiple configurations for the Knowledge Articles (__kav) object:
- Schema: This option allows you to view and select the parent and child objects for the chosen KAV object.
- Selected Records: This option allows you to choose specific records for the object. By default, all records available in the object will be selected.
- Selected Fields: This option allows you to choose specific fields for the object. By default, all fields available in the object will be selected.
- Click on Trigger Restore.
- On the Selected Data To Restore screen, you can enter a label of your choice or leave the auto-generated default label.
- Specify the batch size for retrieving records.
- Choose the recipients from the Email notification dropdown who should receive notifications whenever the action is performed. The currently logged-in recipient will automatically be checked by default.
- Select the criteria for the restore operation and click Restore Now. This will restore the knowledge articles in a draft state and await publication in Salesforce.
- You'll be taken to the Restore Summary screen, which will display the status of the recently triggered restore activity.
- Once the restore operation is successfully initiated, the status will change to Ready to link kav to case.Point to Note:
Before linking the restored knowledge articles to their corresponding parent record, ensure you publish the articles generated by Vault that are in draft state. Only published articles can be linked with corresponding parent records (Example- Case).
- Click on the icon under the Actions tab to trigger linking the knowledge articles to the case. Once the Kav record is successfully linked, the job status will change to complete () state.
- You can view the restore summary report using icon or access the restore log report using the icon.
Similar steps should be followed for replicating Knowledge__kav objects in Vault. Simply navigate to the Replicate module and proceed with the replication process for the KAV objects.