After completing this unit, you'll be able to:
- Install CodeScan IntelliJ plugin
- Configure CodeScan Plugin in IntelliJ
- Bind the project with CodeScan
- Find the troubleshooting steps if you ran with IntelliJ CodeScan plugin issues.
Get Started with CodeScan IntelliJ plugin
The CodeScan IntelliJ plugin provides on-the-fly feedback to developers on bugs and quality issues, it is a fully-integrated user experience in the IntelliJ IDE.
The plugin is derived from SonarLint™. CodeScan and IntelliJ plugin as of now will not work along with the SonarLint™ installation, so first you must uninstall SonarLint™.
CodeScan and IntelliJ plugin as of now will not work along with the SonarLint™ installation, so first you must uninstall SonarLint™.
Make sure you have the following:
- IntelliJ IDEA 2022.2 version or above
- A CodeScan cloud account (with valid enterprise or trial license).
- For CodeScan Self Hosted:
- A working SonarQube™ (7.9+) installation
- A licensed version of CodeScan (4.4+) plugin to get started (more info).
- JDK version 11 or above
- Latest available Node.js LTS version (v16 as of today)
- Uninstall SonarLint™ Plugins. The CodeScan and IntelliJ plugin will not work alongside the SonarLint™ installation.
Install the CodeScan IntelliJ plugin
- Launch the IntelliJ IDEA app.
- Go to
Pluginsavailable on the navigation bar on the left side of the screen.
- Click on the
Marketplacetab and search for
- Click on the
Installbutton and wait for the installation to complete (click on
- Restart IntelliJ to save the changes.
Configuration Of CodeScan Plugin in IntelliJ
After successfully restarting the IntelliJ platform, you will require to configure the CodeScan plugin inside IntelliJ IDEA app.
- In the IntelliJ IDEA app, go to
- Select or double click on
CodeScanin the dropdown.
- You will see another
Settingstab under which you can see the (
+) icon, click on it.
Make sure you select the checkbox which says "
Automatically trigger analysis".
- A new popup window opens where you need to give the
Configuration Nameand choose the
Connection Typeof your preference. Choose the first option if you are using CodeScan cloud default (
https://app.codescan.io) instance, and second option if you are on a different CodeScan instance (other than
https://app.codescan.io) or server. For example, if you're using the CodeScan European instance with the Codescan IntelliJ plugin, select the second option i.e.,
Connect to other CodeScan instances or serverand enter https://app-eu.codescan.io in the
Next. It will now redirect you to another window where you need to enter your CodeScan token.
If you are a CodeScan Cloud user, selecting create token takes you directly to CodeScan Cloud window where you can generate the token. For more information on how to generate a new token for your account, refer to the article: Generate a Security Token
Nextafter you enter the token.
- A new window shows up where you can choose the
Organization(If you are part of multiple organizations) which you want to configure.
- Once you choose the
Organization, click on
Bind the project with CodeScan
- In Intellij IDEA app, go to
File > Settings > CodeScan > Project settings.
- Select the checkbox which says
Bind the project with CodeScan/CodeScan Cloud.
- Select the
Project bindingthat you have just setup or choose from the existing one and the project you want to bind and analyze.
- Click on
Apply, for the changes to take effect.
- You will now be able to see the errors under the CodeScan window at the bottom in the IDE if there are any, automatically, for the file which is open.
- If the errors don't show up immediately, reopen the file and you will be able to see the changes.
CodeScan Project binding updates gets failed
If the CodeScan update binding is getting failed, try disabling the VPN and antivirus, then try updating the binding again.
If the binding successfully updates, the error occurred due to antivirus blocking CodeScan. Add CodeScan to the list of allowed sites for the antivirus in use.
If the binding still fails, raise a Support Ticket, including the analyzer logs and verbose logs in the attachment. “When Verbose output is enabled, sensitive data may be exposed and care needs to be taken when sharing the logs.”
“When Verbose output is enabled, sensitive data may be exposed and care needs to be taken when sharing the logs.”