The configuration backup job creates a snapshot of the data/metadata from your Salesforce org and retrieves data required for successful restore from it.
- Click on Add Backup Config button.
- A popup will display asking you to choose the criteria for configuration type.
- Metadata and data excluding special objects: This will fetch the entire metadata/data objects from your Salesforce org excluding special objects. Special objects include system objects, history objects, audit logs, KAV objects, etc.
- Special objects like History, System, Audit logs, and KAV objects: This option will list only the special objects that are available in your Salesforce org.
- Based on Config Type selection, the next screen will display.
Let us assume that you chose the first option i.e., 'Metadata and data excluding special objects'. The next screen will display the entire metadata type from your Salesforce org. Here, you can either select/deselect the metadata types which will be part of the backup configuration.
- For Data objects, Vault has a provision to filter the records to prevent unwanted objects from being backed up. You can either opt for including associated objects for your data objects or filter the data objects that are included with the timestamp.
- Click on the individual object to view its related members on the next screen. Also here, you can perform various operations to the members' fields such as to exclude them from getting back up. For ex- If you like to exclude members for the Account data type, simply click on the Account object.
- On the next screen, select the Account object metadata members to be included for the backup. Click Save.
- This will redirect you to the previous page where you can view the changes that have been recently modified.
- You can even choose to exclude the entire object's members by selecting the Excluded Formula Fields checkbox.
- Additionally, to filter the label name for each data object, use the Filter icon. Based on the rule assigned, the results get filtered.
- The Record Count Limit field will limit the number of records to be extracted from the data object. Click Validate to verify whether the filter applied is correct or not and to view the total number of records which will get fetched.
- Finally, click Apply to apply the filter and close the filter dialog box.
- Once you are done with the selection of metadata types, objects (and their fields), set up when you would like to carry out the Org Backup operation.
Once you are done with the selection of metadata types, objects (and their fields), set up when you would like to carry out the Org Backup operation.
- Give a name for the backup operation.
- Click on the icon to go to the Backup Setting page.
- For Data objects, you can enable Bulk API.
- For Metadata types, specify the batch size for both profile and remaining components to retrieve records. 10K is the max batch size that you can set per batch. This option is useful in running large jobs that would exceed normal processing limits. As per the Salesforce governor limit, you can deploy or retrieve up to 10,000 files at once or a max size of 40MB. Using Batch Size, you can process records in batches to stay within platform limits. If you have a lot of records, processing records through batches are your best solution.
- Select the Backup Type for both metadata and data members.
- Full-Backup: Full backup is a method of backup where all the files and folders selected for the backup will be backed up.
- Incremental-Backup: An incremental backup operation will result in copying only the data/metadata that has been changed since the last backup operation. The modified time stamp on files is typically used and compared to the timestamp of the last backup.
- Select the email notification icon to receive an email notification whenever the objects are being backed up from your Salesforce Org.
- Next, choose the frequency for backup i.e., either daily, weekly, monthly, or at any specific interval. Say, you want the schedule of the backup process to run every 4 hours, then select the Specific option and mention the time frame as 4 hours.
- You can specify till what time period you want to retain the backed data under the Backup Retention period field.
- Click Save Config.
- The next screen will display the summary list of metadata and data members selected for your salesforce and the manner in which the backup will be carried out.
- Click Save. A confirmation message will get displayed stating the backup is successfully configured for your Salesforce org.
- You will be next redirected to the Salesforce Registration page where you will find your newly added Salesforce org registered with Vault and the backup configured for it.
- Additional options:
- Schedule: The user can either enable or disable the backup schedule of a Salesforce org temporarily by sliding the Schedule icon on either the right or left side.
- Backup Config Details: Click on the icon to view the list of metadata/data members of Salesforce org that will be backed up based on the process scheduled.
- Actions (Edit/Delete): The user can either delete the backup scheduled using the Delete icon or update the metadata/data components from being backed up using the Edit icon.
- Last Backup Status: Last backup activity status will be displayed in this section.